How to Breastfeed in Public
Breastfeeding in public can be a daunting experience, but don't let anyone tell you it's something to be ashamed of. In recent years, there has been a shift in thinking, and it's great to see more and more people embracing the beauty of breastfeeding. After all, feeding your child is not just normal, but wonderful, and something you should do with pride.
And guess what? In Australian Federal Law, it's a right, not a privilege! So, not only do you have nature on your side, but you have the law, too. After all, hungry babies need to be fed regardless of where you are, and as a mom, your top priority is to always meet their needs.
It's this kind of attitude that is so valuable in normalising breastfeeding in our society, so don't hesitate to do what's best for your baby, wherever you are.
To cover up or not to cover up?
- The answer to that is completely up to you. As the mum, it’s your choice whether you want to cover up or not in public, and there’s nothing wrong with either option. Babies feed best when their mothers are at their most comfortable, so do what makes you happy.
- Breastfeeding on the go can seem daunting, but with a few simple tips, you can do it with ease and comfort.
- Wrap yourself and your little one in a soft and stretchy muslin wrap or shawl for some added privacy. You can even pick one that matches your style to keep you feeling confident and fabulous.
- Opt for clothing that's been specifically designed for easy breastfeeding. Tops with breast-sized openings or button-down shirts are great options that will make feeding a breeze without the need to take your whole top off.
- Don't forget to bring a cosy cardigan or shawl with you when it's chilly outside to keep you and your baby warm during feeding time.
- If you'd prefer some privacy, most public places have a designated parent's room for you to use.
- Finally, think of breastfeeding as an opportunity to relax and bond with your baby. Find a quiet spot away from the hustle and bustle, and take the time to unwind. Remember, when you're comfortable and happy, your baby will feel it, too.
Breastfeeding in public has made great strides, and it's great to see more women confidently doing it. But there are still people who disapprove, and you may encounter the occasional disapproving glance or unkind comment. It's difficult not to feel offended or attacked, but don't let it deter you from being the best mother you can be for your child. It's important to remember that when you feel comfortable breastfeeding in public, you inspire other women to do the same.
A hungry baby shouldn’t have to wait and no mother can be forced to ignore the needs of her baby. Breastfeeding is a right. It’s your right.
A Place To Empower Mamas With Incredible Products
Zoe Sage came from a genuine desire to ease into the transition to motherhood and breastfeeding because - let’s be honest - motherhood is no joke. Owned and operated by a young mother of two, Zoe Sage is all about offering incredible products that reduce stress levels instead of increasing them.
From baby sleeping bags, silicone feeding sets and our signature Five In One Multi Use Mama Cover, we’ve got the essentials of motherhood covered alongside free shipping over $100, a thirty day returns policy, and of course, flexible payment options like ZipPay and Afterpay.
If you are on the hunt for baby products that actually benefit you and your family, follow us on Instagram to stay updated on new arrivals, or get in touch with us today if you have a query about one of our items available at Zoe Sage.