What To Pack For Hospital When Having A Baby
This is it, the moment you have been waiting for! Your baby is almost here, and it’s time to get ready. Excitement, nerves, and maybe a little bit of panic, you’re about to feel it all. With some preparation, you and your partner can feel much calmer as you lead up to the big day.
Now, before you start frantically packing your bags with all sorts of goodies, let's take a breather. Check with your hospital first to see what they provide. They also probably have a list of recommended items to bring, so be sure to ask for it and ask any questions that come to mind.
One thing that can be a bit overwhelming is figuring out what to pack for your stay in the hospital. We’ve got you covered with a super simple checklist for you and your baby.
- Paperwork: Medicare card, health insurance details (if applicable), and any hospital paperwork. If you’re not sure, ask your hospital beforehand.
- Pyjamas and a dressing gown: You will likely spend most of your time in your pjs, so make sure they're comfortable. A light dressing gown is also useful for covering up when you need to walk around the hospital.
- Feeding-friendly clothes (optional): If you plan on breastfeeding, pack clothes that are easy to feed in. If you prefer to stay in your pyjamas, that's perfectly fine too. This 5-in-1 Multi-Use Mama Cover will come in handy.
- Loose underwear, socks, and easy-to-slip-on slippers: Choose loose-fitting underwear and socks, and bring extra in case you need them. Slip-on slippers are also helpful for walking around the hospital.
- Nursing bras, breast pads, maternity pads, and nipple cream.
- Phone and charger: You'll want to stay connected with family and friends during your hospital stay.
- Going-home outfit: Choose an outfit that is soft, comfortable, and clean for when it's time to leave the hospital.
- Toiletries: Although the hospital may provide some toiletries, it's a good idea to bring your own. Don't forget your toothbrush, toothpaste, and hairbrush.
- Eye mask and earplugs: Hospitals can be bright and noisy, so bring an eye mask and earplugs to help you sleep.
- Contact lenses or glasses if applicable.
- Onesies and singlets for your baby to wear while you’re in the hospital. Also, pack a going-home outfit for your baby – it’s a momentous moment so pack one that’s special to you.
- Again, pack a few.
- Newborns can go through as many as 12 nappies in a day, and even though the hospital will probably provide you with some, it’s always handy to bring your own, especially if you stay for more than a few days.
- Nappy balm and nappy bags.
- Baby wipes are now your new best friend. Make sure the ones you bring are free from alcohol and fragrance.
- Burp cloths: This helps mop up any milk the baby might bring up. Trust me, your clothes will thank you for it.
- A little cardigan and blanket: When you leave the hospital it will be the first time your baby is exposed to fresh air.
Some women like to bring with them books and magazines, while others like to have headphones. Others want a bag of snacks. Or their laptops. Other than the things you need, don’t forget the things you want.
The more comfortable you are, the easier the entire process will be. And when it comes to your support person, make sure they have everything they need too, including a camera, a phone, a charger, a list of people to contact, snacks, a change of clothes, comfortable shoes and whatever else they feel they might need for this big moment. And don’t forget to have your car seat ready in advance, because you can’t leave the hospital without one.
With this easy-to-follow checklist, you can feel confident and prepared for your hospital stay. Remember to take care of yourself and your baby, and don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. We wish you a safe and happy delivery!
A Place To Empower Mamas With Incredible Products
Zoe Sage came from a genuine desire to ease into the transition to motherhood and breastfeeding because - let’s be honest - motherhood is no joke. Owned and operated by a young mother of two, Zoe Sage is all about offering incredible products that reduce stress levels instead of increasing them.
From baby sleeping bags, silicone feeding sets and our signature Five In One Multi Use Mama Cover, we’ve got the essentials of motherhood covered alongside free shipping over $100, a thirty day returns policy, and of course, flexible payment options like ZipPay and Afterpay.
If you are on the hunt for baby products that actually benefit you and your family, follow us on Instagram to stay updated on new arrivals, or get in touch with us today if you have a query about one of our items available at Zoe Sage.